Monday, February 27, 2012

Light

While I think a lot of people who know me would say I'm generally an optimistic person, sometimes I doubt the sincerity of my positive outlook. These days it's hard not to be a pessimist, especially if you also consider yourself a realist. But if I'm anything, I'm an idealist. I live in a world that's half fantasy and half reality - harboring frequent delusions of "how it should be," and joyously reveling in changes that make "how it is" that much closer to my expectations.

For the first time in a long time, I'm legitimately hopeful for my future. I am starting a new job soon; one that I hope will kick start a fulfilling career in an industry that engages my desire to be creatively productive with my life. It's a contract position that only guarantees me work for three months, but any opportunity is better than none. I have a chance to do something amazing for myself, and I am fortunate enough to be able to take that chance.

My current employers are allowing me to scale back my schedule to Saturdays and Sundays (in fact, one said he hoped I'd be willing to stay on part-time before I had told him what I planned to do), which will afford me the flexibility of taking the new job full-time while still supplementing that income with bar and dining room shifts at the restaurant.

If anything is making me nervous, it's the amount of time I'll be away from the house. I have no idea how Boy Boy will react to me being gone so much of the day. Fortunately, my family takes very good care of my little monster, so I know he won't be alone all day. It would make me feel better if he didn't have so much separation anxiety already at work in his crazy little dog psyche. If ever there was a candidate for doggie Xanax, it's Boy Boy. I'm sure he'll be fine, though.

There's a part of me that wants to wait for the other shoe to drop, but that voice is drowned out by the better angels of a faithful soul, singing out their hopes that these positive changes in my life will become permanent; the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and while I still can't see exactly where I'm going, I know I'm headed in the right direction now.

That's all one can ask, isn't it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He loves mom more than any of us anyway. :)

3/09/2012 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares
JohnEdwards.com